Hi incoming 1Ls! In addition to aiding you all with the basics, this year ASP will be offering some general advice throughout the year that might make 1L life a bit more enjoyable. To kick it off, here’s a list of orientation essentials!
• Monday – Pack a smile; first impressions are lasting! Not only is it going to be an early day, it’s going to be a long day. But I promise you’ll survive. And a smile will undoubtedly help you, as well as your classmates, get through it!
• Tuesday – Pack a deep breath. Ever heard of the saying “the worst is over?” Welp, that doesn’t apply here. BUT, you did make it through your first day! Take a deep breath, you got this!
And for those of you who haven’t taken their ID photos, you may want to pack a hair brush because make-ups begin at noon!
• Wednesday – Pack a 5 hour energy and/or cup of coffee; today is jam packed. You’ve got an introduction to legal analysis at 9:00 a.m., an introduction to the Socratic Method (through the intentional torts) from 10:30 a.m.-2:45 p.m., and an introduction to case reading and briefing at 2:45 p.m. But you do get a break to stretch your legs! The student organization fair begins at noon, to which you obviously want to attend bright-eyed and bushy-tailed!
• Thursday – Pack a map because today you’re on your own for lunch. It’s the perfect day for it because Thursday is food truck day in the square (near the school on Main Street!) After you eat, take the extra time as an opportunity to do a little exploring.
• Friday – Pack your dancing shoes! Not only did you make it through orientation, but the Student Bar Association is hosting an event to celebrate. Enjoy free food and drinks on the Promenade (behind the school) starting at 5. And if you’re so inclined, enjoy your last weekend of freedom by hitting the town with your new law school buddies afterwards!
Class of 2019 – you’ve got a full week ahead of you. My advice to you is to attend everything! Soak up as much as you can and enjoy it. There will be things that you miss, but that’s what ASP and upper classmen are for!
Gale, Chase, and I welcome any and all questions.
Good luck this week,
Your 2016-2017 ASP Gang